Listening to the candidates debate tonight, I come away with one overriding feeling, a result both of how they delivered their remarks and what they actually said: Romney has memorized a series of positions; Gingrich has thought every issue through and is fully and emotionalluy committed to it. Though not close to catching a break in the polls, Santorum and Paul communicate depth and conviction, too, just like Newt. Romney may share that clarity of thought and intensity of feeling, as well, but he doesn’t convey it. It is hard to imagine him coming out ahead in Florida and later primaries until he closes this authenticity gap.
Subscribe by Email
- Review of Chris Christie RNC Keynote
- Communications Advice for Mitt Romney
- What has the long primary march gained the GOP?
- SOTU Agenda: I rule the world
- GOP Debate #1: Romney’s authenticity gap
- SC Gingrich Blowout
- SC Second Debate: Gingrich Wins Again
- In SC GOP Debate, looking for the WOW factor
- Tonight’s Presidential Address (from my column today on Hugh Hewitt.com)
Tags9/11 Add new tag Afghanistan apologies banks Berlin Wall Biden bipartisanship Bush Cheney clinton Congressional Republicans Daschle Education George W. Bush Guantanamo Harry Reid health care Hillary Clinton humor inherit Iran Iraq Joe Biden Kennedy lincoln Merrill Lynch Michael Steele Obama Pelosi Politico press conference Reagan republicans Sarah Palin Sotomayor State of the Union stimulus storytelling taxes teleprompter terrorism Twitter Wall Street Journal women